Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Featured Vendor - Twirlie Whirlies


Another AMAZING vendor to feature this week! Twirlie Whirlies is a handmade paper party accessories business but extends to much more than that!!

Here are some of my favorites:

Bridal Party Set


Everyday Fun Pinwheels


Playful Pink Cupcake Wraps


12 Days of Christmas Gift Tags


Interview with Shannon of Twirlie Whirles:

What motivated you to start Twirlie Whirlies?

Twirlie Whirlies” started by accident when my son was just one and we were preparing to convert his nursery into a “big boy” room. I had difficulty finding fabrics in the colours I wanted to use but ended up finding them in a collection Martha Stewart scrapbook papers instead. So, everything I had intended on making from fabric was created from paper, including buntings and pinwheels. Hence, the start of my obsession!


What exactly does Twirlie Whirlies entail?

Twirlie Whirlies is home to handmade paper party accessories including, but not limited to, pinwheel cupcake toppers and handheld favours, bunting, flags, tags, party hats, and candy cones. Most of our business does tend to be custom work. My customers come up with some amazing (yet sometimes challenging) colour combinations so we have recently started offering a custom printed paper option using digital paper designs. I usually source and support other Etsy shops for these designs.

I also quietly launched a sister shop,“Twirlie Whirlies, too”, last year. This shop is devoted to the 3 R's - reduce, reuse, and recycle, and is intended to be a solution to my growing mountain of paper leftovers from pinwheels past. Unfortunately, Twirlie Whirlies has kept me so busy this year, I haven’t had time to transform those scraps (and the mountain continues to grow….)

I’ve also been playing around with invitations and play date cards recently for friends and family so maybe someday they will appear in the shop as well.


What advice do you give to other female entrepreneurs?

Lol – I’m still waiting for someone to give ME that great piece of advice that will magically make everything balance and work. My husband is also self-employed and maintains a home office so between the two of us, and a 3 ½ year old that doesn’t yet go to school full time, our home/work environment is chaotic! It has its challenges but also has helped me learn to “expect the unexpected” and be more flexible. No day is ever the same (and never boring).


What are 3 things people don't know about you?

Hmmm – this is a tough one. I am pretty much an open book.

But, here are a few tidbits I normally just keep to myself:

1. I am a horror film junkie. The scarier the better. The word “torso” makes me run for the hills!

2. I’m afraid of flying. Maybe the reason I hardly ever take a holiday.

3. I have a degree in Architectural Technology.


http://twirliewhirlies.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/twirliewhirlies

Thank you so much Shannon!!!!! xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment